Krishna Kanta Handique
Approved By: UGC Type: Government
If you are interested in this college
Krishna Kanta Handique Overview
Assam Legislative Assembly (XXXVII of 2005) established the K K Handique State University (KKHSOU) in 1995. Krishanakant Handique State Open University, Guwahati, is currently recognised as a State Open University by the DEC (Distance Education Council). Although DEC accreditation is adequate to determine the level and worth of the course delivered by the institution, it is limited to universities that fulfil the minimal UGC and AICTE requirements (only for technical and professional courses).
State Open University, Krishna Kanta Handique, is the first open university in the whole North East and the fourteenth in India. In recognition of the great scholar and pundit Krishna Kanta Handique and his contributions to higher education in the state, the university was named after him. The University’s headquarters are at Patgaon, Rani, Guwahati. The University began operations with the appointment of Prof. Srinath Baruah, former Professor of Economics at Gauhati University, as Vice-Chancellor.
With the slogan “Education Beyond Barriers,” the University aims to provide education to the unreached through its Open and Distance Learning System, which bridges the gap of age, background, and geography.
The university’s course frameworks have been developed to be in line with the national curriculum. Along with standard programmes, the University provides a variety of professional Certificate and Diploma programmes to allow students currently enrolled in other colleges and educational institutions around the state to pursue add-on studies alongside their normal courses.
Krishna Kanta Handiqui State Open University (KKHSOU) accepts applications for a number of programmes. Currently, the University offers over forty Academic Programmes in Humanities, Social Sciences, and Professional fields, including Ph.D., M.Phil., Master’s Degree, Bachelor’s Degree, Diploma, and Certificate Programmes. Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) and Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.) degrees are available in Humanities, Social Sciences, and Professional Courses. Bachelor’s Degree Programs have been available since 2008. Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Business Administration, Bachelor of Commerce, and Bachelor of Computer Application are among the Bachelor’s Programs. Admission is available to programmes such as BA, B.Com., BBA, BCA, MA, M.Com, MBA, M.Phil., and Ph.D. UG admissions are merit-based, whereas PG admissions are competitive.
Krishna Kanta Handique Program and Specialization
Courses offered by Krishna Kanta Handiqui State Open University are as follows:
Bachelor of Arts
Journalism and Mass Communication
Journalism & Mass Communication
Human Resource Management
Creative Writing In English
Library and Information Science
Journalism And Mass Communication
Scientific Tea Cultivation and Plantation Management
Commercial Nursery Management for Horticultural Crops
Human Resource Management
BSW / MSW
BCA / MCA
DCHN (Computer Hardware & Networking)
Admission Procedure Of Krishna Kanta Handique
Admissions will be based on merit. Candidates for MBA, M.Phil. and Ph.D. programmes must take an admission test.
Steps to Apply:
- Visit the institute’s official website.
- After carefully reading the instructions, click on the online application form.
- Sign up for an account and use your username and password to log in.
- Fill out the personal and educational information. Select the curriculum and location that best suit you.
- Please upload all relevant documentation.
- Then, make the required payment.
- Print out the form and save it for future reference.
Required Documents List
- Copies of qualifying examination pass certificates/ mark sheets, such as 10+2/PU/Diploma.
- Copies of Bachelor’s degree mark sheets / pass certificates (if applicable).
- Proof of enrollment in the three extra papers required to apply for BCA.
- Master’s degree mark sheets and certificates (if applicable).
- Any additional pertinent documentation
Krishna Kanta Handique Fee Structure
Fees (for 1st year)
₹23,835 (Total Fees)
₹ 9,900 (Total Fees)
₹ 4,435 (Total Fees)
₹ 4,535 (Total Fees)
₹ 23,835 (Total Fees)
Eligibility Criteria Of Krishna Kanta Handique
The institute is well-known for offering more than 30 programmes through its Distance Education programme. In addition, the institute provides ICT Enabled PG courses. At KKHSOU, the admissions procedure for various programmes differs.
- A candidate is chosen into any UG programme based on merit or results received in the prior qualifying test.
- Admission to the MBA programme is contingent on passing either the MAT or the KKHSOU-CET.
- A candidate’s admission to other PG programmes is based on merit.
- Admission to Ph.D. and MPhil programmes is based on UGC-NET, SET, JRF, or KKHSOU-CET results. Candidates will be shortlisted based on their performance in PI and the grades they received in the admission test.
BA/ B.Com./ BBA
10+2 / Selection would be based on merit.
MBA / PG Diploma
Graduation with 50% + MAT / KKHSOU-CET
PG from an acknowledged university +
Review & Ranking of Krishna Kanta Handique
- KKHSOU is one of the most prestigious institutions recognised by the UGC.
- The University Grants Commission and the Distance Education Council of the Government of India both acknowledge the university.
- It has received the ranking of 7.7/10 in a student’s survey.
Krishna Kanta Handique FAQS
Q1. Are the degrees conferred by KKHSOU comparable to those conferred by other universities?
Ans. Yes. KKHSOU is accredited, and all of its courses are authorised by the Distance Education Bureau in New Delhi and the University Grants Commission. For government jobs and continuing one’s education, Assam recognizes all degree, diploma, and certificate programs offered by the university.
Q2. What exactly is SLM? How should they be collected upon acceptance confirmation?
Ans. SLM stands for Self-Learning Material, and it refers to physical copies of study material. After submitting their application form, students can pick them up at their designated learning centres.
Q3. Does Krishna Kanta Handiqui State Open University provide scholarship to the students?
Ans. KKHSOU provides scholarships to deserving individuals who perform well in the relevant examinations. Women who pass the Civil Services tests are also eligible for the scholarships.
Q4. What is the exam format for the KKHSOU-CET?
Ans. The test is divided into two sections. First section comprises of multiple-choice questions about research technique. Second Section comprises of descriptive questions about the issue at hand.
Q5. What are the University’s eligibility requirements for UG and PG courses?
Ans. For UG programmes, candidates must have a 10+2 diploma with a minimum of 50% marks from a recognised board. For PG courses, candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 50% from a recognised university.