20 Fake Universities unveiled by UGC: Delhi leads among 8 states in Fake Educational Institutions
The University Grants Commission (UGC), India’s higher education regulator, has released a list of 20 fake Universities operating in the country, with Delhi topper the list with eight such institutions. The list also includes universities from Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Maharashtra, Pondicherry, Uttar Pradesh, and West Bengal.
Uttar Pradesh comes in second with 4 fake universities, with Delhi having the highest at 8. The UGC has listed all fake universities here.
The list of fake universities till September 2023 has been released by the University Grants Commission (UGC). Higher education departments and principal secretaries of the state government have been ordered by the statutory body to take “appropriate action” against fake institutions in their state.
Delhi has the highest number of fake universities – eight out of 20 universities – which have been marked as not recognised, followed by Uttar Pradesh – where there are four. Fake universities are running in total 8 states in violation of the University Grants Commission Act 1956. Both West Bengal and Andhra Pradesh have two fake universities.
“The power to confer or confer degrees shall be exercised only by a university established or incorporated under a Central Act, a Provincial Act, a State Act or an institution deemed to be a university under section 3 or an institution specially empowered to grant or confer degrees. by an Act of Parliament to provide for the same,” the UGC Act of 1956 states.
Additionally, students who attend fake universities may end up wasting their time and money. Fake universities often charge high tuition fees, but they do not provide quality education to students. Students may be charged fees and services that they never receive.
Table of Contents
State-wise list of Fake Universities
- All India Institute of Public & Physical Health Sciences (AIIPHS) State Government University, Office Kh. No. 608-609, 1st Floor, Sant Kripal Singh Public Trust Building, Near BDO Office, Alipur, Delhi-110036
- Commercial University Ltd., Daryaganj, Delhi.
- United Nations University, Delhi.
- Vocational University, Delhi.
- ADR-Centric Juridical University, ADR House, 8J, Gopala Tower, 25 Rajendra Place, New Delhi – 110 008.
- Indian Institute of Science and Engineering, New Delhi.
- Viswakarma Open University for Self-Employment, Rozgar Sewasadan, 672, Sanjay Enclave, Opp. GTK Depot, Delhi-110033.
- Adhyatmik Vishwavidyalaya (Spiritual University), 351-352, Phase-I, Block-A, Vijay Vihar, Rithala, Rohini, Delhi-110085
- Gandhi Hindi Vidyapith, Prayag, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh.
- National University of Electro Complex Homeopathy, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh.
- Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose University (Open University), Achaltal, Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh.
- Bhartiya Shiksha Parishad, Bharat Bhawan, Matiyari Chinhat, Faizabad Road, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh – 227 105
- Indian Institute of Alternative Medicine, Kolkata.
- Institute of Alternative Medicine and Research,8-A, Diamond Harbour Road, Builtech inn, 2nd Floor, Thakurpurkur, Kolkata – 700063
- Christ New Testament Deemed University, #32-32-2003, 7th Lane, Kakumanuvarithoto, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh-522002 and another address of Christ New Testament Deemed University, Fit No. 301, Grace Villa Apts., 7/5, Srinagar, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh-522002
- Bible Open University of India, H.No. 49-35-26, N.G.O’s Colony, Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh-530016.
- Sree Bodhi Academy of Higher Education, No. 186, Thilaspet, Vazhuthavoor Road, Puducherry-605009
- Raja Arabic University, Nagpur, Maharashtra
- Badaganvi Sarkar World Open University Education Society, Gokak, Belgaum, Karnataka.
- St. John’s University, Kishanattam, Kerala
Here are some tips for students to avoid fake universities:
- Check the UGC website to verify that the university is acknowledged by the government.
- Contact the UGC directly if you have any doubts regarding the authenticity of a university.
- Read reviews of the university from current and past students.
- Visit the university campus in person and speak to the faculty and staff.
- Be cautious of universities that promise high salaries or easy admission without any entrance test.
Students should also be aware that fake universities often use deceptive names and logos that are similar to those of well-known universities. They may also offer courses that are not accredited or that do not lead to a legitimate degree.
Top Online Colleges In India
News and Updates
Top Online MBA Colleges