NAT-UGC NET (National Eligibility Test)
NTA-UGC-NET or UGC NET (National Eligibility Test) is a national level exam used in Indian universities and colleges to determine eligibility for assistant professor positions and/or Junior Research Fellowships. The test is administered by the National Testing Agency on behalf of the University Grants Commission. Until July 2018, CBSE (the Central Board of Secondary Education) administered the NET test, and then the NTA took over. Currently, the test is held twice a year, in June and December, in an online format.
UGC NET Important Dates
Notification of UGC NET 10th August, 2021
Application Form for UGC NET 10th August – 5th Sept., 2021
Deadline to submit UGC NET Application Fee 6th Sept., 2021
Window for UGC NET Application Correction 7th Sept., 2021
Deadline for UGC NET Application Correction Window 12th Sept., 2021
UGC NET Admit Card will be announced soon
UGC NET Exam Postponed
Provisional Answer Key November 2021
UGC NET Cut-off and Final Answer Key December 2021
UGC NET Result 2021 December
Latest Admission Alert
UGC NET Eligibility Criteria – 2021
The candidates must meet specific qualifying requirements established by NTA. NET UGC Eligibility is determined by the academic qualifications and age limit mentioned below:
Educational Qualification: Applicant must have at least 55 percent (50% for reserved categories) in their PG or similar degree from an acknowledged university. Also, students in their final year are also eligible to take the test. They will, however, be considered for a JRF or professorship designation if they pass their qualifying exam with a minimal score. And, PhD degree holders whose post-graduation exam was completed before these exams are granted an additional 5% relaxation in the minimum marks criteria.
Age Limit: The age restriction for UGC NET Assistant Professorship is not specified. For Junior Research Fellowship, the maximum age is 31 years old as of October 1, 2021. However, the overall upper age limit for JRF in general, is 30 years.
Age Relaxation: For OBC/SC/ST/Pwd/Women/Transgender, the age relaxation is of 5 years (up to 36 years.). And, for candidates having research experience, it’s the duration spent on research, however, it’s maximum of 5 years. For applicants, served in armed forces, it’s 5 years. And, candidates having LLM Degree, it’s 3 years.
UGC NET Recruitment for 2021
The UGC NET 2021 application process began on August 10, 2021 and it’s application fees had to be submitted by September 6, 2021. Candidates have to fill out the UGC NET 2021 Application Form solely on the official website. Steps to follow:
- To register, go to the UGC net website and fill up your personal information, email address, and phone number.
- Following registration, a system-generated application number will be issued to the email address and cell phone number provided.
- Log in again and choose your subject, position, and exam location. Upload your photo and signature in the format given.
- Pay the application fee with a debit card, a credit card, net banking, or Paytm.
- The final step is to save copies of the completed application form and the payment e-receipt for future reference.
- Download Admit Card from the official website (after the announcement is made) by logging in with their registration number and date of birth. The UGC NET Admit Card will have the candidate’s name, roll number, category, picture, signature, exam date, time, and location.
UGC NET Exam Pattern
The UGC NET Exam is a computer-based exam with multiple-choice questions. The test includes two papers. Paper 1 is required for all candidates. The subject of UGC NET Paper 2 should, on the other hand, be chosen during the application process. Paper-I has 50 questions of 100 marks in total, whereas, Paper-II has 100 questions of 200 marks.
Instructions for UGC NET Exam Day in 2021
Candidates can refer to the information provided below for more clarity:
- UGC NET 2021 will be an online (computer based) examination, and candidates will be given blank paper and pens for initial rough drafts. To avoid last-minute problems, candidates should bring a pen/pencil to the testing centre.
- The documents that candidates must carry at the UGC NET exam centre include: Admit Card, Passport size photo, Original ID proof (Voter ID, Pan Card, Passport, Aadhaar, etc.), and PwD certificate (if required).
- Arrive at the test centre by the reporting time specified on the admission card. Candidates who arrive after the centre’s gate closes will not be permitted to access the test hall.
- Fill out the attendance form in neat handwriting, making sure the left-hand thumb impression is distinct and not smeared.
- Aspirants for the UGC NET are not permitted to bring any electronic devices/gadgets, metallic things or accessories etc. to the test hall.
- Do not engage in any unethical behaviour at the exam centre. All exam centres are monitored by CCTV and are outfitted with jammers.
- Before leaving the test venue, return the rough papers and admit card to the invigilator.
Q1. Is the UGC NET administered online?
Ans. Yes, the UGC NET 2021 exam will be administered online. It is a computer-based examination.
Q2. Does the UGC NET test include negative marking?
Ans. No, there is no such thing as negative marking in the test. Candidates receive zero points for wrong answers or questions left unanswered.
Q3. Is an Aadhaar card required to apply for the UGC NET exam?
Ans. You can include any ID Proof (PAN card, ration card, passport, etc.) when filling out the UGC NET application form.
Q4. How many subjects will the UGC NET 2021 test cover?
Ans. The UGC NET 2021 test will cover 81 courses in total.
Q5. Who is eligible to take the UGC NET exam?
Ans. Candidates who have finished their post-graduate studies with at least 55% aggregate marks are eligible to apply for the UGC NET test.
Q6. What is the age restriction for taking the UGC NET exam?
Ans. Age is not a barrier to applying for the position of Assistant Professor. However, if the candidates are applying for the JRF position, they must be at least 30 years old.
Q7. Can a candidate alter the location of the UGC NET 2021 exam?
Ans. After submitting the UGC NET application form 2021, candidates will be unable to modify their assigned exam centre.
Q8. Is there a sectional time restriction in the UGC NET 2021?
Ans. No, it does not. Candidates are free to move between portions of both papers. Paper 1 will be the same for all applicants, whereas Paper 2 will be subject-specific and will be tailored to assess candidates’ in-depth knowledge. There will be 150 multiple-choice questions on the paper, and candidates will receive 2 marks for each right answer; there will be no negative grading.