Common Admission Test (CAT)
Registrations: First week of August
What is CAT Exam?
CAT (Common Admission Test) which is organized by all the IIMs on rotational basis. It is computer-based MBA entrance examination for getting admission in 20 IIMs and over 1,200 top B-Schools in the India for MBA and PGDM programms and also for the Post Graduate Programms (PGP).
Every year IIMs select a Convener for overseeing all aspects of the exam. Convener is the one who is responsible and see all the possibilities for managing everything.
This year IIM has appointed Prof. M P Ram Mohan as a Convener for CAT examination, he was a faculty for Business Policy and Chairperson Admissions at IIMA (IIM Ahmedabad).
The CAT examination is expected to be organized soon by the July last week and the registration procedure may begin in the 1st week of August.
CAT Exam Highlights
CAT (Common Admission Test)
National Level Exams
Last week of November
Exam Helpdesk No.
1-800-209-0830 (Toll Free)
CAT Eligibility Criteria
- Candidates must have a Graduation degree with minimum 50% aggregate (45% aggregate for SC, ST and PWD category candidates) or equivalent from any recognized university or institute.
- You must have done a professional degree in CA/ CS/ ICWA with the required percentage.
- Candidates who are in the final year of their graduation are also eligible to apply for CAT exam
Latest Admission Alert
CAT Important Dates
Release of CAT Notification
Starting of Online Registration
1st week of August
Last date to fill the application form
3rd week of September
Last week of September
Release of Admit card
Last week of October
4th week of October
Release of Answer Key
1st week of December
Last date to submit objection
2nd week of December
Revised Answer Key
Last week of December
Announcement of Results
1st week of January
You can register easily for the CAT exam through given below steps:-
- Firstly go to the official website – https://iimcat.ac.in/
- Now register yourself by entering your details such as name, date of birth, email ID and mobile number
- Now ask for the OTP for successful registration
- An OTP will be sent on your registered phone number or mail ID
- Now after the successful registration process, login by entering the OTP in the given field
- Now enter all the required details in the registration form
- Upload scanned documents in the required place
- After this select the test centers and preferred IIM campus for Writing Ability Test (WAT) and Personal Interview (PI)
- Now pay the registration fees for CAT exam
CAT Application Fee:
CAT Application Fee
- General and OBC Category Candidates – 2,200/-
- SC, ST and PWD Category Candidates – 1,100/-
How to pay CAT Exam Fee?
CAT exam fee can be paid through online mode – debit/credit card or net banking.
CAT Exam Pattern
CAT Examination is divided into three sections namely VARC (Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension), QA (Quantitative Aptitude) and DILR (Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning) will come to solve Non-MCQ and MCQ type questions.
Know distribution details of CAT exam Sections and questions below:-
VARC, QA and DILR
Duration of exam
Total 120 minutes (40 minutes per section)
Total number of questions
Section-wise number of questions
Language of question paper
Type of questions
Non-MCQs and MCQs
CAT 2020 Cut Off for IIM Admission
CAT cut off 2020
CAT Test Centres and Cities
CAT examination was conducted at numerous exam centers located in 156 cities in India. You have to choose at least six exam center preferences during the registration:-
Top 10 colleges Accepting CAT score
- IIM Calcutta
- IIM Shillong
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi
- Amity Business School, Noida
- Asia Pacific Institute of Management
- Birla Institute of Management Technology (BIMTECH)
- P. Jain Institute of Management and Research (SPJIMR)
- DY Patil University
- IMS Ghaziabad
- UPES University
CAT Exam FAQs
Ques. How many times CAT examination was conducted in a year?
Ans. CAT examination was conducted once in a year.
Ques. Can I pay application fee through offline mode?
Ans. No, you can only pay application fee in online mode via debit/credit card or net banking.
Ques. Is there any limit for registration in CAT exam?
Ans. No, there is no age limit specified to appear in the CAT exam. You only have to fulfill the eligible criteria.
Ques. When will CAT exam result be declared?
Ans. CAT exam result will be declared in the first week of January 2024.
Ques. Can I apply for more than one slot for CAT exam?
Ans. No, you can’t apply for more than one slot for CAT exam, you can appear for CAT exam in one slot only.
Ques. Is there any advantage given to PWD category candidates in CAT question paper timings?
Ans. Yes, PWD category candidates will get extra 20 minutes in CAT question paper.
Ques. Is there any negative marking in CAT exam?
Ans. Negative marking scheme for the CAT exam is given below:-
- 1/3 (-1) marks will deducted for every wrong answer in MCQs
- There is no negative marking for every wrong non-MCQ answer
Ques. What is the registration fee for general category candidates?
Ans. The registration fee for general category candidates is Rs. 2,000/-
Ques. From where I can register for CAT exam?
Ans. Go to this link and register for CAT exam – https://iimcat.ac.in/
Ques. How many questions will come in CAT exam section wise?
Ans. There are total 76 questions in CAT exam:-
- VARC – 26 Questions
- DILR – 24 Questions
- QA – 26 Questions
Other Popular IIMs
IIM Ahmedabad – Indian Institute of Management
IIM Indore – Indian Institute of Management
IIM Calcutta – Indian Institute of Management
IIM Kozhikode – Indian Institute of Management
IIM Udaipur – Indian Institute of Management
Top Colleges Accepting MAT Scores
SRM IST Application Open